Thursday 26 July 2012

Top 5 Greatest Books of My time!!!!! So far that is, and there's nothing you can do about it.

I should point out that when I said my time, I meant time that I would use on them




5. Rubicon-  First of all know this, It is very rare that I would include a non fiction book in a list like this, so believe me when I say that this book is special!! Maybe I am just to much of a Histo-geek, but I am convinced that someone who knows nothing about the Romans could pick up this book and enjoy it. It is that good. At the same time for people like me, who know an awful lot about the Romans, This book is full of great reference points and humorous anecdotes. This is just a great, great read.....and I would read it again.





4. Soul Music- Wow, its great how something as simple as a book can take your mind off its troubles. That is what this book did for me. Which is no easy feat because my mind is exceptionally large. No, in all seriousness this is just a great story.....Pure story telling is how I would describe it. Come on!!! just the summary of the back has to hook you: Death gets sick of being Death and decides to go on holiday, eventually joining a rock band( For those of you that have never read Terry Pratchett, in his books Death is an actual living person, sort of). I live for stories like these!!!






3. The Hobbit- This is just pure adventure! Honestly there is nothing more serious than that going on in this story....No saving the world or anything that heavy. A bunch of Dwarves, a Wizard and a Hobbit band together to steal back treasure that was stolen by a Dragon called Smaug from the family of Dwarves.... The Took in you has to at least nudge a bit after hearing that!(Oh, that is an inside joke for people who have read the Hobbit). This Book is guaran-dam-teed to put a smile on your face.




2. The Silmarillion- The epic Mythological history of Tolkien's Middle earth......This book is probably the most unappreciated book in the history of Literature! I dont think people understand that everything that happens in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are direct consequences of the events chronicled in this book. But I love it because it definitively proves Tolkien's genius. How many authors created there own Language? And I mean a real language based on Anglo-Saxon and elements of high German ? Tolkien did....That is just one of the many reasons why this book rocks.










1. Dune- This will always be my number one.....Its just so dam poetic. And I mean the first three novels, not the subsequent sequels that sucked ass. A story about a young man and his search for family revenge, that leads him to become a hard and cold man, who has become the very monster he set out to destroy in the first place....Dam that is so......Greek tragedy, and I love it!!! Dune....The rise and fall of Paul Atreides and his family.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Any list suggestions will be welcome!!!!
Also any other thoughts you may have.